Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Is this a good work out routine for upper body?

I'm a 15 year old male. I've been working out for around 11 months now on the bowflex and I mix up my workouts so my body doesn't get used to it.





I read in Men's Fitness that doing too much can overwork and lead to smaller muscles and less strength.





An axample of my workout would be:


3 exercises for biceps. My first exercise is set at 65 lbs on each arm. I lift each arm independentally until failure. I then do some laying bicep curls until failure, which is only around 3-6 reps. And a final sitting bicep curl(s) with around 2-3 reps.





Then I take a 5 minute break/work on abs. I repeat the whole process again.





I am currently doing 3 SETS of the execises stated above. Is that overworking? Is it not enough? If not, what can I do to fix it?





This summer, I plan on increasing my sets to 4 and then 5, along with increasing my weight, because I'll have more time away from school this summer.





Thanks for the help and if I'm not right, please feel free to tell me.Is this a good work out routine for upper body?
The key isn't so much as to the number of sets that you do for a body part, but as to the total amount of time that you are lifting. After 45 minutes of exercising the levels of the stress hormone cortisol start to rise a lot in the body, so that after 60 minutes you are actuallly doing more harm to your body that good. The ideal amount of exercise is 45 minutes, but anywhere in the 45 minute to 60 minute range is fine.





Also the ideal rep range for an exercise is 6-9 reps per set, with 7-8 being the ideal amount.Is this a good work out routine for upper body?
My best advice is to do your routine every other day.





I suggest this because every time you work out your muscle tissue rips and tears.....This days rest will give your muscles time to rebuild, making them bigger and stronger (that is why you are sore)! If you are not giving your muscles time to rebuild then it will take you twice as long to have the results you want.





Hope this helps you!!!!
Is sounds good to me, at least yuor taking the responsiblity to keep in shape , I find that attractive
Don't listen to Men's Fitness about overworking- if you put enough controlled stress on your muscles, they will grow. Stick to 3 sets, and just raise the weight if you can.





Are you doing protein? Optimum Nutrition makes a good and (relatively) affordable whey protein. You are supposed to take 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight if you want to get big.





But that MF article- it makes no sense- if you lift more, your muscles respond by getting bigger. Smaller- give me a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection