Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Would this work at all to help learn Japanese ?

http://www.techshout.com/gadgets/2008/22…


This is used for Japanese people learning English , but could I use it to learn Japanese ? I've heard people doing that before and it works for them . How does it work and would I be able to ?


Thanks !:DWould this work at all to help learn Japanese ?
I use a casio electronic dictionary which I bought here in Japan and it works wonders for me. Be sure to buy one that has a small screen where you can use a stylus and write kanji yourself. This will help you in situations where you don't know the kanji's reading and you don't want to search by stroke number as that would take forever.





I recommend electronic dictionaries to supplement your Japanese learning for sure. Be careful about word choice though.


One time my student was trying to tell me that she had had a daydream about her boyfriend on the train. The word she pointed at in her dictionary had the English meaning ';hallucination.'; Needless to say we were both a bit confused for a minute.





EDIT: 1/26


I realized that I could have been leading you astray a bit. Like the other answerers have said, you should be using a dictionary to --supplement-- your learning. A Japanese to English and vice versa dictionary is great to use and portable (unlike an online version). But it depends on where you're getting most of your media. I have an electronic dictionary to help me in my day to day life and Rikai-chan and www.jisho.org to help me when I'm moving about the interwebs.





If you're looking for more Japanese education to teach you the language as a whole you can check out a plethora of sites. I recommend www.iknow.co.jp to help you study vocab, www.edufire.com to learn speaking skills as well as practical grammar skills, and www.jgram.org for an intensive grammar study.Would this work at all to help learn Japanese ?
No, You are better off getting one that translates from English to Japanese. These pocket gadgets are good for augmenting your learning skills, but you will not be able to learn the language by using only the gadgets. To learn the language completely you will need grammar. The gadgets do provide some grammar but mostly vocabulary. Some of the gadgets do have have complete sentences that are used exclusively for tourists such as ';When is the next train to Tokyo';. For a more complete curriculum of grammar and the written forms of the language: kanji, katakana and hiragana, it's best to have an instructor or attend a class setting.
I don't think so.





This is the largest online Japanese-English and English-Japanese dictionary. You just put any English word in the top left box and you will see its Japanese equivalent.





http://www.alc.co.jp/





Thus, you can learn Japanese word with the electronic one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection