Friday, December 11, 2009

Can I make this wireless camera work underwater?

I want to put a wireless camera under water a good bit (more than ten feet) and I want to be able to transmit the signal to a station above water. If I was to extend the antenna until it broke the surface (not a problem with this application) will that work?Can I make this wireless camera work underwater?
well technology guy has it pretty right. Rf will be absorbed at this freq, no doubt about it!! The freq that is needed under water is usually very well under this. Let's not get into this...you want to transmit a signal lets say at this 2.4ghz from under water..you will need to float the antenna above the surface and run the coax below to the unit. This can be done easily, just make sure the coax is water proof. If for any reason you need further help, send me a email..I can get you going....Can I make this wireless camera work underwater?
Yes, if you have the camera tethered to a remote/above surface antenna that is on a float or a buoy, there should be no problem.





you can also fairly easily create a water tight enclosure from some PVC tubing and a plexiglass end.





Note, the RF will not work through water as you probably already know. Water tens to absorb most of the RF energy at the frequencies that you would be using, probably 2.4 Mhz.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection