Friday, December 11, 2009

How should I handle this situation at work?

I give bowling lessons 3 days a week, but because I'm only 15, the parents of the kids don't take me seriously. Today, I had two kids at 9:00, and it was their first lesson. My boss tells the kid's parents that they will be paired up with me. They were surprised that I was REALLY a coach, and gave me a dirty look. Later, I was coaching the kids, when the mom started to complain to my boss that I wasn't teaching them right. My boss said that she would watch, but she didn't find anything wrong with what I was teaching. She told me to 'act like I'm correcting something, or else the mom is going to have a hissy fit and ask for a refund'. Anyway, an hour and a half later, she demands a refund because she 'wasn't satisfied with how I taught it', despite the fact that my boss said that she couldn't find anything wrong with the kid's form. So now, I have to stay an hour and a half after work to work with him 1-on-1. How can I get the parents to look past my age?How should I handle this situation at work?
I agree! Great job. Keep up the good work and learn a few tricks to get the parents on your side.


Chat with them and brown nose the heck out of them.


Tell them that they have a smart son, (or daughter) and he works well with you.


He is a quick learner.


If you introduce yourself and shake hands with them, smile, say Hi, and gently shake their hand.





Coaches have a tough job. They have to have a talent for working with people and learn how to deal with upset mothers(and fathers).How should I handle this situation at work?
My friend...1st off Great Job, and never give up your passion!





May i suggest:


Be well groomed.


Remember, people are paying...so be professional.


Use the yes sir and no sir's.


Go back to the basics....find a few things...they may not be a problem ...but because it is in black and white in a book you can revert to it once or twice in the view of the parent. You have to gain their trust.





I know it is not right, but adults rarely see too far below their own noses sometimes.





I wish you the very best luck,


D


www.stockmysite.com
Pretty interesting that you should be in that situation as an instructor... My first thought: Block out the parents completely. I personally know you can be an expert bowler at your age, so you are going to have to muster up your confidence level and show your stuff. If your boss has decided that you need to give extra attention to this one particular individual, do it, but make sure your boss knows that you have given all you can and extra work will only equate to more training for the individual, which your boss or company should be getting paid for. Much the same as you, you should be getting paid for the extra work.





If you like what you are doing and this is an isolated incident, just look ahead and forget about this one. Parents always have been strange when it comes to their children.
The best thing would be to teach them as you normally would, trying your best to focus on the student, and not the parent. If you do a good job, the parent should finally see this when the student starts to bowl better, and she will think differently of you.





I would not worry about this situation. I think this is a rare case, and just keep doing what you do. Your boss(hopefully) is a good bowler, and knows you are doing well, so trust their judgement, not the parent, cuz obviously your boss thinks you are doing well.
you should stone cold stunn that hoe! and her kids too if you feel like it. That's what I'd do...
That woman won't be happy no matter what you do.





When you are assigned people to coach, you should have your boss introduce you and give your qualifications to the customers. Ask if they have any questions. Tell them beforehand how qualified you are, what your average is, etc.





I'm thinking it was this particular family. I would have no problems with a teen teaching me or anyone in my family how to bowl. If you know your stuff, your age is irrelevant.
wow, I wish I had your average... Most people don't understand the ';proper'; form... My kids were taught and they understand the techniques but doing it the same every time does take work... Nobody gets a perfect strike or a 300 game on the first day, (well unless 9 pin no tap).. lol





That is unfortunate that you are treated that way by the parents. I think that you need to have a signed contract so that they know you are 15, before they even come in. Your boss will have to do something like this if they are going to continue to have lessons and not throw the ';hissy fits';...





Good luck...
Two approaches for you...





ROCKSTAR:


At the beginning of every lesson grab a ball and throw the hardest strike you can muster. Tell them that if they want to be able to do that they better start taking notes.





GANDHI:


Ignore it. There are always going to be assholes that are willing to do anything for a refund. Teach them as best as you can and if they give you any problems respectfully decline to teach them. You are providing a service for them, but there is a point where the customer is no longer always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection