Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I am interested in Marine Biology, mainly conservation. I would like to work in this field, howev?

I see myself working for an aquarium or a marine organization rather than a school so it doesn't seem like I would need a formal teaching degree. But is there a certificate or something that I would need? Or would on-the-job training through practice and development be sufficient?I am interested in Marine Biology, mainly conservation. I would like to work in this field, howev?
Marine Biology is not an easy job. I would suggest that you go to some sort of college and get a degree in it. Most aqauriums propably would require a college education to work with the animals. Plus a college education will give you almost an ifinete knowledge of the sea. Knowledge is POWER.....I am interested in Marine Biology, mainly conservation. I would like to work in this field, howev?
My sister got her degree in Marine Biology in the 1980's and is STILL trying to find a job in the field.
Generally you would need a degree in biology, zoology, or the like. With majors in marine biology. The more education you have, the more likely you would be able to find work. Unless you just want to clean the stuff off the bottom of a pool.


It really depends on how far you'd like to go with it as a career. If you just want to work at a base level at an aquarium, then obviously you wouldnt need as much formal education (but it still helps). If you truly want to get into conservation, you will have to move more into the research fields where more education is required.
Volunteer at your local Zoo or City aquarium.
I plan on going into animal husbandy, which is basically working at an aquarium,etc. The head of our marine bio department has always told me that employers look for experience before degrees. I am having an internship at a zoo next semester, I have been a research assistant, and I am doing industrial consulting now. If you go on the american zoological association website, and look at the job listings, most employers just ask for a bachelors degree in biology, or something close to it, and prefer experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection